Last updated: October 14, 2014
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the Website and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information. In this policy, the term “personal information” refers to information by which you could be identified, such as your name, e-mail address, or username.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In e-mail and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by any third party; or
- any third party, including through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not (a) use this Website or input any information into it directly or through third-party interfaces, (b) register as a member of the Website, (c) use any of the interactive or public or private comment features of the Website, (d) or provide any information about yourself to us (via e-mail, electronic message, regular mail, or otherwise), including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, age, date of birth, or any screen name or user name you may use on other websites or services (online, mobile, or otherwise). If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including:
- personal information, including your name, e-mail address, and username; and
- technical information about your internet connection, the equipment, and browser you use to access our Website, as well as related usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us when you register as a member of the Website.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include the amount of time you spend accessing the Website; IP addresses, names, and urls of websites that refer you to the Website; and information collected through cookies relating to your history of interaction with the Website. Cookies are small files stored on your computer that may contain information about a user’s activity on a website, as discussed below.
Information You Provide to Us. The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (“posted”) in certain areas of the Website or to be transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although certain groups that operate on the Website may limit what other users outside the groups can see, please be aware that these group-related restrictions are not perfect and that User Contributions posted in certain restricted groups may sometimes be viewed without authorization. Additionally, we take no responsibility for the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons, Website users or others.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies. As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and Internet connection, including your operating system, IP address, and browser type.
The information we collect through automated processes does not include personal information, but we may associate personal information that you provide us with information gathered through these automated processes. Gathering information in this way helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Blacklist known spammers.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
- Cookies. A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or services we offer or provide through it.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual without restriction.
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support the Website.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of LGBTQ!Chat’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by LGBTQ!Chat about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it, such as using your e-mail address to send to you Website-related notices.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose to which you consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of LGBTQ!Chat, our members or others.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Email Request. You may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that all your personal information be deleted.
- Delete Account. You may delete your account at any time. Once you delete your account your personal information will also be deleted.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may review and change your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
The safety and security of your information depends on you. Where you have chosen a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out sensitive information on the Website, including in both public and restricted areas of the site. The information you share may be viewed by other users of the Website.
Thank you, and we hope that you enjoy using our Website!